Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Remembering.....

A few noted people have passed away the last few months. It seemed like from June to today, the headlines have been all about deaths and funerals.

Here are my personal encounters with some noted men who passed away:

Michael Jackson- I saw Michael in 1984 just after the Pepsi accident. I was in junior high and went to 7-11 to buy a newspaper for my current events homework. I had to report on a notable event that happened the last week. When I walked towards the doors of 7-11, I saw Emmanuel Lewis (Webster) and another person with him, which I actually thought was his mother. They were heading out as I was entering the store. Michael opened the door for me, I was stunned and slowly made my way in. Michael still had bandages on his head but he was smiling at me. Before they left, Michael waved goodbye to the store staff. I couldn't even mumble a thank you to him. 1984 was the height of his popularity. It was one of those so L.A. moments. Oh yeah, Michael loves Slurpees.

Frank McCourt- author of one of my favorite books, Angela's Ashes. My sister and I lined up for the book signing at Brentanos Century City of his follow-up book 'Tis. We arrived early in the morning for the afternoon book signing. We were so early that we were 1 and 2 in line. Mr. McCourt read to the crowd and took questions. When it was time to sign, he made a joke to us about being so early for the book signing. He signed 'Tis and also my copy of Angela's Ashes.

Edward Kennedy- I think it was 1987 and I was at LAX with my friend. We were on the people movers and my friends was saying something to me that sounded like "DEAD KENNEDY". I kept on asking her "Who"? and she kept saying something that sounded "Dead KennedY". So I blurted out "Dead Kennedy?" and as I looked up, Ted Kennedy and his entourage were walking the other way. I think he only heard me mention Kennedy so he gave us a smile. I was so embarrassed but I truly think he only heard me say the "Kennedy" part.

Rest in peace Michael, Frank and Ted.

1 comment:

Parisbreakfasts said...

I LOVE your Michael Jackson story!!!
What amazing meetings you've had.
Carolg